Friday, January 15, 2021

Cover Art for "The History of Naughty Dog" - France

Early in 2020 I was contacted by an author in France who was writing a history of the Naughty Dog Studio for a publisher in that country. After 2 interviews I was contacted by the publisher and invited to create the cover art for the book. 

"L'Histoire de Naughty Dog" is being released January 29 2021. It's in the pre-order phase. Here's a link to it. You can see they changed the color and tone of the composition but that's okay. The original art is what I'm presenting.  

I was under a lot of pressure when I started this. The Covid lockdowns hit and I was overwhelmed with trying to work with my existing onsite students who were migrating online.

I'm also including the individual sketches I created which were all incorporated into the final composition.

The publisher was very patient and I was compensated well for the job. So here's the art for a fun and educational presentation. Thank you friends and Keep Creating !!


  

12 comments:

Geb said...

This looks great! Too bad they decided to change the colors for the final cover.
One question: was Cortex always supposed to have red gloves and then they changed it to yellow in the game or is it just a stylistic choice for this piece? I remember him having red gloves in Crash Nitro Kart, I know you said you didn't work on the original cast for that game but I was wondering if there was a connection there.

Albert Miiros said...

It's amazing. Congratulations Charles! :)

Hazman said...

Hey Charles! I saw this a while ago but it's nice in full picture. Every one here is wonderfully design! btw awhile ago I showed you a line up of your Crash concepts art that I was colouring in, It's been fully finished. I,ve done some so my own thing's on it but try,ed to stay true. https://twitter.com/HazBlackslick/status/1351068406397730817

Nitwit said...

OMG! Why is your art so cute. I love your art style. It really needs to be in more video games. You are God's talented homie

Gaƫtan Boulanger said...

Thanks for everything Charles, it was an honor to work with you <3

Unknown said...

Very good

Nicholas Bayless said...

I tried did what said or lest I think did, anyway

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qw98OX0i_Rw/YBkNEQjHLAI/AAAAAAAAAWA/JnKRKIUxyQYNamQdevKXIhsggXcA5jDRACLcBGAsYHQ/s2048/Skippy%2BFront%2BColored%2B%252B%2Blight%2Band%2Bshade.png

Unknown said...

These are so cute! I especially love how Daxter was done! Wish I knew French so I could get and understand the book

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr.Zembillas! Since i absolutely love your art, could you do a drawing for me? Crash Bandicoot, Dingodile and Ripper Roo all three togehter. It would be awesome to see that in your style!

Araceli "Kahn" Pereira said...

Hello Zembillas! I haven't been active on Blogger lately but I can't help but come to see your work!

I just wanted to come by to say hello after such a long time and to congratulate you as always for your great work, keep it up! You are a great inspiration for us new artists.

Mister Twister said...

VERY much appreciated. The book may never get translated, and I may never learn French (or I may?), but at least I will always have this cover. And the original sketches you posted here.

Waiting patiently for Art of Project Y. Someone once said I have the patience of an angel, and that someone is right.

Charles Z said...

Thank you all for your great comments!