Thursday, February 21, 2013

Gray to color with markers and Photoshop

Last week I had a chance to create a quick demo for a student in need of some direction in my Visual Development class at the Academy. He was emerging into the gray scale rendering aspect of the course. I place a strong emphasis on understanding how gray tonal values work in relationship to color.

I began with a drawing in blue pencil followed by black line pen. The I added the gray tones with markers.


Once the analog work was done I digitized the image and brought it into Photoshop to enhance the grays through tints.


Finally I made use of color tints to bring additional life and interest to the subject. Really made a difference!


A simple black line and gray marker sketch becomes more interesting when a digital approach is added to the process. Try it sometime and see what this technique can do for your art.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark Cerny is working on a new game for the recently announced PlayStation 4 called Knack. This is the main character, the little robot Knack: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2013/02/live0382.jpg

Does he looks familiar? XD

Charles Z said...

This video just went up on YouTube yesterday. It's a trailer for Knack. Check it out guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NwLC2DzUnlw

Anonymous said...

Yes I know, I saw it on the Playstation meeting from yesterday. But don't you think that Knack looks a bit like Crash in his face? It remembers Crash to me.

Charles Z said...

The tuft of hair on his head and his eyebrows are similar to design elements on Crash. Also the ears. The game overall looks similar stylistically to J&D regarding the characters. It's close to what I was doing with J&D or at least what I had in mind with many of the characters. Looks pretty good from what I can tell. The kind of game I would've liked to work on. Mark is a very good producer.

Unknown said...

It's nice to see Mark Cerny rise up from the ashes, never heard from him in a while now. I love the look of Knack too, the robot character does look like Crash in a way but I'm not getting the PS4 anytime soon.

Say Charles, how was it working with Mark Cerny during he development of Crash 1, 2 and Warped?

In addition Charles, the design above looks a lot like the prototypes of Jak when you on board in 2000 with Naughty Dog. I love it too!

Charles Z said...

Thanks Pat. It was a quick sketch meant for a basic lesson in marker rendering to get the student going. I like how the color turned out.

My experiences with Mark were always positive. He's an interesting person. Very intelligent. Speaks fluent Japanese. Glad to see him on stage and featuring his new game.

Anonymous said...

He arrived with the music of the first Crash game, someone in the Crash Bandicoot Zone forum thought that it was for a new Crash game, but it was only an omage to his work with Crash. He was also in charge of Crash Bash, and I love that game, I think it's the last Crash game that I liked. I think that if he would have completed his project of a Free-roaming Crash game for the PS2 it would have been awesome!

Charles Z said...

Good to know he's interacting with Crash fans. If there's a way to get a message to him say hello from me. Mark's a top level professional and I wish him great success with Knack.