Saturday, February 16, 2013

J&K - The Road to Daxter - Part 5

As I progressed on my way to developing the character that would become Daxter for the original Jak and Daxter game I was having some problems with the direction I was getting from ND. It was leading towards a character that would not be achieving its maximum design appeal. I felt as if I were going backwards. Still I was able to come up with a couple of concepts that had some potential. 



Then the breakthrough happened with this sketch. Recognize it? Look at the head. That's the image that was used for the cover of the game.


Compare it to the look of Daxter on the cover of the first J&D game.

2 comments:

SimplyMark said...

Love the breakthrough design) looks great and feels alive

Charles Z said...

Thanks very much! There were a few more designs concepts after the breakthrough sketch. Once it was decided this was to be the direction of the sidekick character things started to come together nicely. Will have more images of the development of Daxter featured here soon.