Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bear shirt barbarian

I was thinking of Julius Caesar's account of the ancient Germanic peoples he encountered as recorded in his book "The Conquest of Gaul". It in he describes them as wearing very little clothing in cold weather. In fact they were proud of their tolerance of cold. I also remember reading about the history of the word "berserk" and that it meant a warrior in archaic Germanic times who would wear bearskin clothing when going to battle. Berserk literally meant "bear shirt" according to the source I referenced.

Thought I'd give it a go this evening and draw upon that theme. I sketched out these concepts in blue pencil and graphite for fun and also to have work ready to share with students this coming week that relates to what I'm impressing upon them. In particular the idea of exaggerated anatomy and also some basic rendering techniques regarding textures. 



No comments: