Saturday, August 18, 2012

Illustrated rotation

My major accomplishment this week was an assignment I gave myself as I worked with my students in class at the Academy. I decided to try a new kind of character rotation. One that involved turning the design and illustrating it as well. I rendered each pose in Col-erase blue pencil and used only a line and cross hatching technique to blend my tones. I feel the character itself is a bit reminiscent of Where the Wild Things Are. Didn't intend on it. Just came out that way. Sometimes it happens. It was fun none the less and a good challenge to keep me on my toes and help my students progress artistically through the example of a demonstration.






Here's the rotation as a line up. Clicking on the image will give you a better view.


   

2 comments:

fanimation said...

I love it Charles! I see what you mean about it being slightly reminiscent of "Where the Wild Things are" (Sendak is another artist I just love by the way!). Although, if I didn't know who's work it was, just came across it on a goggle images search, I would recognize it for its Zembillas style first. I haven't attempted a turn around yet no one of my characters, I will have to try it!

Charles Z said...

Thank you John! By all means try your hand at a character rotation. It's an important skill for character designers and a big part of the course I teach. In order to call yourself a character designer especially at a professional level, you need to be able to rotate the designs you come up with. It's a standard requirement plus it's great practice and helps to improve your drawing.