Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Power up your character anatomy

Something else for my students and artists who could benefit from this example. Around 2008 I created these drawings in class as demos. Not sure if it was The Animation Academy or Cal State Northridge. May have been both. In any case my intention was to show how muscle structure could be used to add strength and intensity  to your characters. I emphasized the pattern at which different muscle groups wrap across the body utilizing the variations to punch up the strength of the figure and enhance design and form by virtue of what's already there.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love anatomy!

I remember you mentioned that once you know how to draw what's underneath, (bone & muscle structure) drawing characters becomes must simpler.

Charles Z said...

That's right Mike. Understanding anatomy really helps in designing more effective and appealing characters.