Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Slobber from "Wish Kid"

In 1991 I was busy working in television. That year I had a hand in a lot of Saturday morning cartoons. I was working at a company called DIC which was producing TV content. 

A cartoon I helped develop back then was called "Wish Kid". It aired on NBC in the US and featured the voice of Macaulay Culkin who was a famous child star from the movie Home Alone. Wish Kid was about a boy who had a magic baseball mit. When he made a wish and struck the mit with his fist three times his wish would come true. Wish Kid's pet dog was a beagle named Slobber. I found the production images I created for Slobber. First time publishing lost art from Wish Kid.







8 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the look at the dog "Slobber" Charles! I'm aware that Macaulay Culkin starred in a number of pictures in the 90's. I also remember that he was in the 1993 movie "The Pagemaster" in both live-action and in animated form.

Anonymous said...

I love it!:D

Charles Z said...

Thanks guys. I liked the character and thought the show had potential but the cartoon was so cheaply produced that the animation house they sent it to did a less than memorable job on it. In fact, the letters for studio DIC are commonly referred to in the animation business as "Do It Cheap".

Working there gave me flexibility though. I had more freedom with my schedule so I could focus on personal projects. One of which I'll be launching online next month in January 2013.

I did quite a lot of work for DIC in the 1990s and also worked there in the 1980s when they were new. Wish Kid could have been a better cartoon if they cared to make it better but alas, that wasn't on their agenda. Still I had fun.

Unknown said...

Your right about that Charles. DiC's animation was consider cheap and downright choppy. Take a look at Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, it's based on the popular video games but the animation and backgrounds are so downright terrible. They additionally produced two more Sonic shows years later with better animation but they weren't so good either.



Samuel Medley said...

Very cool. Could you post pictures of the other characters?

Charles Z said...

The art is buried somewhere but I'll eventually get to it. Thanks for checking in.

MacLeod said...

This cartoon is a memorable part of my childhood! It aired in Brazil and I loved it. Two dogs of mine are named after slobber (with the Brazilian translation), being one still alive!

Charles Z said...

Hello MacLeod. That's good to know. Glad you enjoyed the cartoon series. I had a lot of fun with it. Very good memories and a great time in life. Wish Kid takes me back to a special phase in my experience in animation while working at DIC.