Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pencil to color concept sketch

Around 2002 at my school I engaged in a demonstration for the Visual Development class. I looked to communicate how simple it was to create with watercolor. Starting from a blue pencil thumbnail sketch I proceeded to redraw the concept in graphite on paper suitable for pigments. Next I mixed some basic colors for the composition in a direct but controlled manner and painted right on top of the pencil line. The result of which you see below. This was a quick and fun demo that helped get a message across as to how efficient and effective some traditional analog mediums can be. Color studies make a great portfolio filler plus they're an excellent exercise in prepping for more ambitious works.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

very nice use of large versus small shapes.